Counter Tobacco Podcast
The Counter Tobacco podcast is a pre-produced, interview and research-based podcast dedicated to the six million people that die from tobacco-related causes each year. There are so many reasons why someone picks up their first cigarette and this podcast aims to highlight the role the tobacco industry’s influence at the point of sale plays.
Episodes will range from in-depth profiles of the demographics most affected by commercial tobacco to stories rooted in the history of the industry’s marketing tactics to coverage of what’s being done today to counter tobacco sales and marketing in the retail environment.
- Counter Tobacco Podcast Episode 18: Heated Tobacco Products - This episode is designed to answer all your questions about heated tobacco products, or as the industry refers to them, “heat-not-burn” products. This episode covers their design and safety, assesses their marketing and current regulation, examines a bit of the newer research and literature on the products, explains the FDA’s ‘modified risk’ label authorization for … Read More
- Counter Tobacco Podcast Episode 17: ‘Authentic Voices’ – An Interview with Shaun Pryor - This episode is the first in what we hope will be a new series called, ‘Authentic Voices’, where we speak with individuals in communities across the US to hear how their lived experiences and interactions in the retail environment impacted their journey with tobacco. In this episode, we speak with Shaun Pryor, a Chicago-native and … Read More
- Counter Tobacco Podcast Episode 16: Tobacco-Free Pharmacies - Pharmacies are licensed healthcare facilities uniquely positioned to provide healthcare services and health advice directly to community members across the US. Yet, many pharmacies still widely promote and sell tobacco products, the leading cause of preventable disease and death in this country. This episode focuses entirely on tobacco-free pharmacies. We’ll hone in on evidence-backed research, … Read More
- Counter Tobacco Podcast Episode 15: Tobacco Retailer Licensing - Tobacco retail licenses (TRLs) are one of the most lasting and effective strategies in tobacco control. In addition to letting states and localities know who is selling tobacco, licensing is an evidence-based way to reduce tobacco use; it also offers a versatile regulatory platform that allows jurisdictions to implement additional policies that can further reduce … Read More
- Counter Tobacco Podcast Episode 14: The Tobacco Industry’s Targeting of Low SES Communities - The tobacco industry spends over $9 billion dollars each year marketing cigarettes and smokeless tobacco in the United States. This episode dives into the ways in which the industry allocates this exorbitant amount of money to target communities of low socioeconomic status, and examines how the industry’s manipulative tactics impact disparities in tobacco use and … Read More
- Counter Tobacco Podcast Episode 13: A Look at the Federal Flavor Ban & Tobacco 21 - Over the past few months, we’ve seen a lot of changes to the regulatory environment surrounding tobacco products. This episode highlights the new federal flavor ban and Tobacco 21 law, as well as what some states and local jurisdictions have done to advance tobacco control and what your locality could do to support strong tobacco control. Listen … Read More
- Counter Tobacco Podcast Episode 12: Counter Tools’ Executive Director Maria Julian & Her Vision of the Future - In this episode, we speak with Counter Tools’ new Executive Director, Maria Julian. Learn about her visions for the future of Counter Tools and Counter Tobacco.org and hear what she thinks we should be on the lookout for in tobacco control this upcoming year. Listen below, on iTunes, or on LibSyn. Transcript for the episode … Read More
- Counter Tobacco Podcast Episode 11: Hookah Tobacco at the Point of Sale - In this episode, we take a closer look at hookah. Learn about general trends in hookah tobacco use, hookah industry marketing and promotional strategies at the point of sale and point of consumption, examples of current state and local-level regulations, and point-of-sale policy options. Listen below, on iTunes, or LibSyn. Transcript for the episode can be … Read More
- Counter Tobacco Podcast Episode 10: Tobacco 21 - In this episode, we interview Katherine Ungar, Executive Director of the Preventing Tobacco Addiction Foundation. Learn about how interest in policies raising the minimum legal sales age to 21 (or “Tobacco 21” policies) has grown in the US, what makes a strong Tobacco 21 policy, and pitfalls to avoid. We discuss the federal Tobacco 21 … Read More
- Counter Tobacco Podcast Episode 9 – Tobacco and America: Yesterday, Today, and Tomorrow - In this episode, we talk with Jake Wilson, a junior and statistics major at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, who has been taking a service-learning course titled “Tobacco and America,” which “examines the complex significances of tobacco—a plant of great local importance to North Carolina—by placing it in a variety of historical, … Read More