In this episode, we’re taking a look into the future! Each January, we make some predictions about the top trends in retail tobacco prevention and control work to pay attention to. In this episode, we walk you through each of our 8 categories of focus for 2023. They are:
- a focus on health equity in pos tobacco control
- comprehensive bans on the sale of flavored tobacco products
- tobacco retailer licensing
- a changing tobacco product and nicotine landscape
- endgame strategies
- battles over preemption, and
- partnerships to create healthier places.
Listen below or on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Stitcher, iHeartRadio, or LibSyn.
Read a transcript of the episode. You can also see a written version of our top point of sale trends to watch in 2023 here.
- Tobacco Where You Live: Retail Strategies to Promote Health Equity
- Counter Tobacco Podcast Episode 24: Equitable Enforcement in Commercial Tobacco Control
- Counter Tobacco Podcast Episode 26: Nicotine Pouches and other “Modern” Oral Nicotine Products.
- Counter Tobacco Podcast Episode 25: Endgame
- Health Equity Impact Assessments
- Evidence Summary: Flavored Tobacco Products
- Evidence Summary: Menthol
- American Heart Association’s Tobacco Retail Licensure interactive map
- State Tobacco 21 grades, Preventing Tobacco Addiction Foundation
- Tobacco 21 best practices
- Point of Sale Pricing Policies
- Tobacco Point of Sale Preemption Playbook
- :Healthy retail resources
- Evidence summary: Healthy Retail
- ChangeLab Solution’s Healthy Retail: A Set of Tools for Policy and Partnership, which includes a healthy retail Playbook, Conversation Starters, and a Collaboration Workbook.
- Healthy Retail San Francisco
- Our evidence summary on Healthy Retail
- Integrating Tobacco Control and Obesity Prevention Initiatives at Retail Outlets, published in the journal Preventing Chronic Disease.
- California Department of Public Health’s Healthy Stores for a Healthy Community
- National Collaborative on Childhood Obesity Research’s Measures Registry.