In this quick primer of an episode, we talk about nicotine pouches like “Zyn” and other so-called “modern” oral nicotine products, how they are being marketed and sold in the retail environment, and options for regulating this small but rapidly growing product segment with concerns about youth initiation in mind. Listen below or on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, iHeartRadio, or LibSyn.
More on synthetic nicotine and how it could be regulated:
- Zettler, P. J., Hemmerich, N., & Berman, M. L. (2018). Closing the Regulatory Gap for Synthetic Nicotine Products. Boston College law review. Boston College. Law School, 59(6), 1933–1982.
- Truth Initiative. (2021, April 6). “What you need to know about new synthetic nicotine products.” Accessed September 15, 2021.
- Blackwell, JR. (2021, January 15). With its non-tobacco Zyn product, Swedish Match is a leader in a growing category of alternative nicotine products. Richmond Time-Dispatch. Accessed September 17, 2021. Retrieved from Richmond.com
- Craver, R.(2020, July 16). FDA orders removal of Camel dissolvable products. The products have been off store shelves since 2013, Reynolds says. Winston-Salem Journal. Accessed September 17, 2021. Retrieved from journalnow.com.
- CSP Daily News. (2020, October 16). “Nicotine Pouches: Tobacco’s Fast-Growing Subcategory.” Accessed September 15, 2021. Retrieved from cspdailynews.com.
- Dissolvable Tobacco Products. Updated June 14, 2018. Accessed September 17, 2021.
- Modified Risk Tobacco Products. Updated July 20, 2021. Accessed September 17, 2021.
- Tobacco Product Applications: Metrics & Reporting. Updated August 13, 2021. Accessed September 17, 2021.
- Marynak KL, Wang X, Borowiecki M, et al. Nicotine Pouch Unit Sales in the US, 2016-2020. 2021;326(6):566–568. doi:10.1001/jama.2021.10366
- Ramamurthi, D. (2021, June 8). Recreational Oral Nicotine [conference presentation]. 2021 Tobacco Policy and Responsible Retailing Conference.
- Raskind, I.G. February 24, 2021. Sales of “tobacco-free” nicotine pouches in 30 major US cities. [conference presentation] 2021 Society for Research on Nicotine & Tobacco (SRNT) Conference. https://aspirecenter.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/02/ASPiRE_SRNT_Raskind_Slides_2021.mp4
- Raskind, I. (2021, June 8). “Flavor-ban approved”? Sales of tobacco free nicotine pouches in 30 US cities [conference presentation]. 2021 Tobacco Policy and Responsible Retailing Conference.
- Truth Initiative. (2021, May 7). “Oral nicotine products entice customers with “tobacco free” claims, falsely implying lower risk.” Accessed Sept 15, 2021.
- Truth Initiative. (2021, February 9). “What is Zyn and what are oral nicotine pouches?” Accessed September 15, 2021.