ChangeLab Solutions recently released the Tobacco Retailer Licensing Playbook, a new resource outlining ten strategies for developing, implementing, and enforcing effective tobacco retailer licensing (TRL) policies. These include:
- Conduct an Environmental Assessment
- Define the Problem
- Assess the Legal Landscape
- Convene a Community Coalition
- Educate Decision Makers and the Public
- Create and Adopt a Strong TRL Policy
- Calculate Costs to Implement and Enforce TRL
- Work with Relevant Agencies to Implement and Enforce TRL Policy
- Collect Data and Evaluate the TRL Policy
- Additional Uses for TRL
To learn more about each of these steps, DOWNLOAD IT HERE
Tobacco retailer licensing policies, which require businesses to purchase a special government-issued retail license in order to sell tobacco products, are one of the most lasting strategies to impact the density, type, and location of tobacco retailers. They can help reduce youth access to tobacco, ensure compliance with local laws, and reduce retail availability of tobacco and the subsequent negative public health effects of tobacco use.
For more information:
- Check out ChangeLab Solution’s other resources on tobacco retailer licensing.
- Read more about Licensing and Zoning policy solutions.
- Consider new research comparing three policy approaches for tobacco retailer reduction.