Pleasanton, CA recently established a tobacco retailer license (TRL), which will go into effect on January 1, 2021.The TRL bans the sale of flavored tobacco products and prevents new tobacco retailers from setting up shop within 1,000 feet of a public school, park, or recreation center. As well, the TRL establishes minimum prices and minimum pack sizes for cigars, little cigars, and cigarettes. Little cigars and cigarettes must each be sold in packs of 20 for at least $8 per pack. Cigars must be sold for at least $7 per individual cigar or $8 per pack of 5 cigars.
- requires tobacco retailers to obtain a license
- prohibits the sale of any flavored tobacco products
- prohibits the sale of electronic smoking devices
- prohibits the redemption of tobacco coupons and discounts
- sets minimum price and pack sizes for little cigars, cigars, and cigarettes [Little cigars must be sold in packs of at least five and cost $2 per little cigar. Cigars must be sold for at least $5 each and be sold in packs of at least two unless each cigar is priced at $10 or more. Cigarettes, which must be sold in packs of 20, must also also cost at least $10 per pack.]
- caps the number or tobacco retailers at 1 per 2,000 residents
- prohibits new tobacco retailers within 1,000 feet of a youth-oriented area
- prohibits pharmacies from obtaining licenses sell tobacco products
Sebastopol’s licensing system will go into effect in October, and retailers will have six months to sell off their inventory restricted by the ordinance. Licensing is on of the most lasting strategies to impact the density of tobacco retailers, types of retailers that can sell tobacco products, and location of tobacco retailers; it’s also an evidence-backed way to reduce tobacco use. More information on licensing can be found here.