- This event has passed.
Staying Vigilant – Keeping Our Eyes on Tobacco Preemption
January 25 @ 2:30 pm - 4:00 pm EST
As the 2019 legislative sessions get underway, the tobacco control movement is once again facing a growing threat from state laws that preempt local action on tobacco control policies. Last year the tobacco industry successfully inserted last-minute preemption clauses in must-pass bills in Hawaii and Pennsylvania. This year we are already hearing about preemption legislation in numerous states, including Georgia and Texas. It is critical for the tobacco control community to be more vigilant than ever, and to proactively and forcefully fight against preemption.
This webinar will cover the following topics:
- A short history and recent examples of tobacco policy preemption
- The larger issue of preemption beyond tobacco control and other policy issues threatened by preempton
- Results of recent preemption polling and messaging research
- Specific actions you can take
- Other resources to help you in this fight
There will also be time for discussion and Q & A.
This webinar is sponsored by the American Heart Association, Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids, American Lung Association, American Cancer Society Cancer Action Network, Americans for Non-Smokers Rights, and the Local Solutions Support Center.